GIG SCHEDULE

Monday 4 March 2013

Cuba and Music



4 talented musicians playing in the lobby.
On the streets of Havana.

Hey world! I'm just back from Cuba, where I experienced an amazing musical world. I could say a lot of things about Cuban life, but I'll leave that to others.
As I understand things, anyone can get a university education in Cuba and lots of talented musicians study music. Again, as I understand it, they are then required to work a government job for 3 years until they're free to do whatever. One government job is, entertaining in a hotel. In the hotel lobby every night was one, then another band or group. They generally play traditional Cuban folk music - always with bass, guitar and percussion.  (One group played things such as My Way and Hotel California) Sometimes there's also sax or flute. I found that usually they all doubled on something. I witnessed a man playing guitar and one night, he sat down and was an amazing piano player! A female lead singer told me she was a French Horn major at university and also plays piano. There was a grand piano in another lobby where a talented, trained pianist would show up every night, and play for 3 hours. (I played for an hour one night, got tips, and left the money sitting. That's a first!) The music they played was not so Cuban - but typical lounge piano music. On a trip to Havana I listened to busker bands in the streets and saw several grand pianos in lobbies. I walked into a museum and heard a piano - clarinet - bass clarinet trio playing for tips. (classical music)
       I also had the privilege of seeing the Tropicana Nightclub Show in Havana.  It's just an amazing show - outdoors in the evening, tremendous costumes and LIVE music (is there any other kind?), magicians, balancing acts.... One thing I figured out is that all Carribean resort shows are just cheap imitations of the Tropicana show - it's the real thing.    To get an idea: SEE


     On the dark side of things, the classy musicians arrive by bus, go through security, perform, leave through security and get back on their bus with the other hotel workers - off to their homes in 'non tourist' cities. These musicians really have no idea what 'Youtube' is and don't have email addresses. Chances are very good they'll never see my blog when it goes 'viral'.
5 Talented musician gals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.