GIG SCHEDULE

Monday 28 January 2013

The Bobby Show

Movie taken by Blair, visiting from Charlottowne!
Several years ago,  Michael Myers and I were thinking of some sort of a show, for theatres,  involving something like 'The Brill Building'  or Neil Sedaka,  or that early 60's music.  Michael thought of the concept of a 'Bobby Show'.  So, it was born, and includes songs by Bobby's...Day, Helms, Rydell, Sherman, Vee, Darin, Goldsboro, Curtola, Vinton, .....and Freeman (if there's an encore). I love the show and love the music.  We perform it as a 4 piece and with Bob Arlidge on bass and Gary Barratt on drums. One of my claims to fame is that I performed one glorious night in the backup band for Bobby Vee.  Looking back now, with the aid of the internet, I realize that Bobby Vee made a little swing into Canada in the autumn of 1966, and, since he hired us, I can only conclude he was 'between bands'. He made us an offer that night to 'take us on the road', and that would have changed my life a bit!   I have pretty well figured out that the last piano player he used before me was Bob Zimmerman, who played with Bobby before he moved to New York and morphed into Bob Dylan. (So my claim to fame is, I replaced Bob Dylan).  You can read about it (Wikipedia)  HERE or Bobby Vee's site, HERE.   A few months ago, using the internet, I contacted Jeff Vee, Bobby's son, and told him about the night in London Ontario, and he said he would pass it on to 'dad'. However it's also on the internet that Bobby was diagnosed in 2011 with Alzheimer's so he likely doesn't remember that 1 night amongst his thousands! The short video included, is the show being performed at Gan Ribfest, July 2011.
For more info, see Michael K. Myers's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.